An earache home remedy can help to relieve your symptoms. An earache can appear deep in the ear, as a middle ear infection or it can effect the outer ear canal. It mostly occurs in children but adults can get earaches too. In most cases a ache in the ear gets better on its own, but there are a few home remedies that can speed up healing. An earache is caused by inflammation, or swelling and infection in the outer ear canal. If there is a build up of fluids or pus it can cause pain and other symptoms.
Harmful bacteria, fungi and viruses are the main causes of this condition. Seasonal allergies and moisture that has been trapped in the ear are also known causes. Other causes include a punctured ear drum, exposure to chemicals, excessive wax in the ear and sudden changes in the air pressure.Symptoms of an earache or infection include:
- Pain in the ear that is throbbing, pain in the ear if the lobe is pulled.
- Yellow, green or clear discharge from the ear
- Itching or pressure in the ear
How An Earache Home Remedy Can Relieve Your Pain
A natural earache remedy may include taking vitamin supplements which can help the healing process, they can be taken if you have to take antibiotics, conventional medicine or pain killers. Natural ear drops from mullein flower oil or garlic oil can help fight off bacteria and reduce inflammation, it can also relieve itching and pain. A steam inhalation can be prepared by adding eucalyptus oil which will ease pressure and drain fluid from the ear. This should be done a few times per day until the pain eases.
Taking vitamins as an earache home remedy is great as it can also help boost your immune system, take Vitamins A and C which can also help fight infections and prevent this from occurring in the future. If your ache is caused by a upper respiratory tract infection echinacea can help by boosting the immune system and treating the infection. Here are some tips on what else you can do:
- Do not use hydrogen peroxide to clean out your ears as it can irritate the ear canal.
- Never use cotton buds as you can puncture your ear drum and cause damage.
- Use a warm face towel and use it as a compress to cover the painful ear. The heat can help relieve pain and speed the healing process.
- Herbal ear drops are very effective in relieving pain within 10 minutes.
- If you frequently get ear infections stay away from cigarette smoke as it can cause middle ear infections.
- A recent study has found that consuming Xylitol products such as candy, gum or sugar can reduce ear infections. Xylitol can help kill harmful bacteria that can cause ear aches.
Here are some signs that you should go and see your doctor if none of the earache home remedies have helped your condition:
- If you suspect an infection, this can be if you have a temperature over 37.5 degrees Celsius and experiencing headaches or a stiff neck.
- If there is a foreign object in your ear and you have symptoms such as bleeding, partial hearing loss or sudden pain.
- If you have any medical conditions always talk with your doctor first before taking any herbs or vitamins.
In most cases an earache home remedy can fix the problem very quickly and help reduce the pain and discomfort.